Friday, January 9, 2015

3 Year Cost of Operation on My Chevy Volt!

Hello, all!  I know I've gone into hiding.  It just seems as though things have been working out great for the electric car, and I can let other people do some of the heavy lifting ;)  2014 was a record year for electric car sales, nearly reaching 120,000 cars in a single year.  I think its a safe bet we'll beat it next year, even as gas prices as in a decline (in my opinion, temporarily).  There are just too many benefits of driving electric, and more and more people are seeing that.

With that said, here is my personal 3 year cost of operation report.  You will notice that I've burned some gas in the last year.  It is what happened when you renovate two homes that are over 2 hours away.  A lot of driving :)  It is just what makes the Volt so special, however.   Limitless range!

I have a major project I am working on.  I am attempting to have a 6 Kilowatt solar system installed on my home.  I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner.  It will cost me, after tax credits, about $6,000, and the system will raise the value of my house by over $16,000, and generate over $1,000 in electricity each year!!  Why didn't I do this sooner?

Anyway, here is the report!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 3 years! When you say you put "some" gas miles and they total a mere 8% of the total, are you mocking the rest of us? ;)

    Yeah, the 6kW solar panels for $6K are a great deal. Maybe you can post more about it when you have it up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your Volt blog and appreciate all the valuable information you provide.

    I felt obligated to thank you for the information and share my reverse story.
    In my case,I'm just the opposite of your scenario . I renovated an abandoned 1/2 finished house on 5 acres in Woodstock, Illinois and made it LEED Gold certified (hence a Green Home) with 5 KW of Solar in the state of Illinois. Yes it can even happen in the Chicago area.
    During the summer and swing months we are happy to say we are NetZero electric (with two high efficiency gas furnaces) and generating some excess electricity.

    Like your estimate for 6KW. My system for 5KW cost $6,000 with rebates and tax credits in 2012. My blog is at "Dudek Woodstock LEED Home Adventure" to share my experience with others and inspire people to do the same.

    It's the only blog I have ever written, so the grammar is not great and software formatting was very difficult to work with. It too 3 years to renovate doing most of the work myself.

    The technology content is great however. We gave tours under construction with the Green Building Council.

    Thanks for sharing,

    I was looking at buying a 2012 Volt (w/ 26,000 miles) and worried about the maintenance cost of a Volt. Your blog and reviews from two friends have convinced me to buy a used Volt.

    I'm going to buy it this weekend.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. All Volt lovers, we have created a tool free to use for all Volt owners, you can calculate the cost of driving an EV and even compare this to that of a petrol car, for any trip. Follow this link https://www.ecocars4sale.com/electric-car-fuel-cost-comparison-calculator we also show you how many miles per charge you may expect to achieve, and how many battery size in KWh effects charge time. We have a range of used electric cars for sale including the Volt for sale here https://www.ecocars4sale.com/ all VoltOwnersBlog users can advertise their vehicle for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to thank the one man that was able to restore my broken relationship, I have always taught that white are more superior to black in all aspect of life, But this powerful spell caster called Dr.Abazara proved to me that intends of spell casting that Africans are the best. That is the reason why i will be recommending the services of Dr.Agbazara to all those that have been heart broken because just through these details: agbazara@gmail.com Or call +2348104102662 i was able to contact Dr.Agbazara and today i am happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really you blog have very interesting and very valuable information about the Car Maintenance.
    Car Maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I really appreciate your all efforts which is specially for the petite annonce keep posting.
    petite annonce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative site and article, i must bookmark it and keep posting interesting articles.
    Auto Repair Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Le_Meridian Funding Service went above and beyond their requirements to assist me with my loan which i used expand my pharmacy business,They were friendly, professional, and absolute gems to work with.I will recommend  anyone looking for loan to contact. Email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com  Or lfdsloans@outlook.com.WhatsApp ... + 19893943740.

    ReplyDelete